Sunday, October 7, 2018

Sollosi's Favorite Pokémon


Continuing my 2018 blog theme of "wow, how come I haven't written about this series before?," I'm going to do a piece on Pokémon.  I have one Pokémon post on this blog, and it's from January 2013.  Been awhile. 

My Pokémon fandom has been around about as long as entire series' existence, but it's come and gone in waves.  Here's an info-dump: I got deep into into the Red/Blue and Gold/Silver generation of games and played each of them as they released in North America; I got into the Ruby/Sapphire generation several years late, when I was working as a night watchman in 2006 and 2007; I played Diamond/Pearl around the same time as Ruby/Sapphire, and put a ton of time into gen 4; I played the Black/White generation of games a few years late, but was so impressed with them that gen 5 might be my overall favorite; I played the X/Y generation also a few years late, in 2017, and liked a bunch of the gameplay innovations but not the world or story; I played Sun/Moon earlier this year and really enjoyed it.  I never got into Pokémon Go, and I'm not interested in the Let's Go Pokémon games that release soon.   

So I've played most of the Pokémon games, but I usually play them late (true for 4 out of 7 generations).  I think I'm going to buy one of the yet-to-be-named generation 8 Pokémon games at launch in 2019, because I'm feeling some Pokémon hype right now from binging a few of them in August.  But my favorite part of any Pokémon game is the monsters themselves.  Each new title is about exploring a new setting and discovering and researching a hundred-plus new monsters, who range in design from cute and cuddly to cool and intimidating to confusing and bizarre.  Naturally, I'm interested in writing about them.  However, I'm not here to rank my favorite Pokémon games, Pokémon characters, or Pokémon themselves - today's blog post is a celebration of the pocket monsters of Pokémon and not a ranking

Piplup, Chimchar, and Turtwig

My first idea was to rank my 10 favorite Pokémon, but that proved too challenging, as my initial concept draft was a list of around 50 monsters.  I then decided to make it an unranked list of favorites, but my notes ended up being weighted HEAVILY towards the 1st, 4th, and 5th generations (something like 80% of the monsters in my notes were Pokémon from those three sets).  I wanted more diversity.  So, as a compromise, I'm going to make this an unranked list of 21 of my favorite Pokémon, three from each generation.   

This list is in Pokédex order, so each set of three is a separate generation of Pokémon.  I took appearance, power, uniqueness, and personal play experience into consideration, but really it's just my personal preference.  I won't include honorable mentions, because the candidate list is like another twenty Pokémon and that's just unnecessary.  I'm also *mostly* including the entire evolutionary line for each Pokémon and not just the single entry; for example, each starter in the list below is really a discussion of 3 evolutionary stages and not just one Pokémon.  And again, because I used that generations rule, these are not my 21 favorite Pokémon.  Just 21 I really like, with 3 chosen from each generation of Pokémon games.  Here we go:  

Twenty-One of Sollosi's Favorite Pokémon

Arcanine

Do I love Arcanine because it's a cool fire-type with strong moves, because it's inspired by Shiisa-lions of Chinese myth, or because it's a big fluffy canine and I love dogs?  Pretty much all three.  Shockingly, I haven't used Arcanine at length for any Pokémon playthrough, but I adore its design and really like that it's one of the few Pokémon that can learn ExtremeSpeed.  Huh, maybe if I do a Pokémon replay next year I'll send over a Growlithe to train. 

Vaporeon

I love Eevee and its evolutionary tree, both for how gosh darn cute Eevee is and the extreme diversity of its larger cousins.  Vaporeon is my favorite Eeveelution because I used one heavily in my playthroughs of Blue *and* Leaf Green, and also because I love the imagery of a fluffy lab mouse transforming into a much larger... mermaid rodent?  Also, Vaporeon is a great bulky water-type and I like those, and it was my main Surf user (plus Ice Beam) for my first runs of the two aforementioned games.  

Snorlax

Rankings be damned, Snorlax is my favorite Pokémon ever.  It's a big, sleepy fella whose demeanor is communicated clearly in its name, and it's cartoony and alien enough not to be confused for, like, a regular-ass bear.  Also, Snorlax has preposterous power.  As a Rest / Sleep Talk user, as a Curse tank, as a straight-up physical or mixed attacker, or as a Special wall, Snorlax is a powerhouse in almost every Pokémon generation, and even has a memorable recruitment quest in Red/Blue/Green.  I love Snorlax and I've had one Body Slamming opponents for almost as long as I've played these games.   

Ampharos

I think Ampharos starts out as a "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" reference, but moves away from Mareep and Flaafy's ovine design into a big, friendly thunder dragon appearance.  The dragonlike nature of Ampharos was pushed a step further when it got an electric/dragon mega evolution four generations of games later.  Anyhow, I think Ampharos is a really solid electric type with an elegant, cool look. 

Heracross

I don't know how they made a martial arts beetle seem so friendly and positive, but they did.  Heracross is strong as hell (MEGAHORN WILL FUCK. YOU. UP.), has an interesting and unusual dual typing of fighting and bug, and a look that's basically as cute as a warrior Hercules beetle can get.  I'm a little puzzled as to why its mega evolution looks like a Rhinoceros beetle and not a Hercules beetle, but that's such a small issue what am I even saying.  Heracross is a Very Good Bug.  

Tyranitar

Tyranitar is a motherfucker.  Insane power.  Great offensive typing (rock/dark, when dark was brand new), and then gets even stronger when they add Pokémon abilities in gen 3 (Tyranitar's summons sandstorms automatically) and stronger yet when they specialized physical and special attacks in gen 4.  Also, I love that the adorable Larvitar evolves into Rocky Mountain Godzilla.  Tyranitar is a hella-powerful Pokémon who's versatile and fun to use, as long as you avoid fighting-type attacks. 

Swampert

I don't love the third generation of Pokémon in general, as it's the one I perhaps have the least attachment to.  I do like all three starters, though; Sceptile is a cool gecko-dragon and Blaziken is a fierce martial arts chicken and both are great, but it's Swampert, the gigantic mud newt, that I like most.  Mostly for gameplay reasons: ground and water are two of my favorite Pokémon types (fighting and dragon round out my top 4), and Swampert is a hoss of a Pokémon with meaty Earthquake and Waterfall attacks.  Plus ground/water is weak against only a single type, making it very solid on both offense and defense, and it received a cool mega evolution in Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby.  Swampert is a reliable big guy.  And look at that face!   

Gardevoir

Gardevoir is a versatile psychic Pokémon, not unlike Alakazam, Gothitelle, or a bunch of other psychics, but I think Gardevoir is particularly interesting because: 1) it's one of the most beautiful Pokémon full stop; 2) its new generation 6 fairy-typing gave it new gameplay dimensions; and 3) it has a fighting-type evolutionary cousin, Gallade, and that's just wild.  Gardevoir is awesome and one of the signature Pokémon of Generation 3 for me, even though I don't love a ton of psychic types (there's only one other psychic on this list).  Def try to catch a Ralts early on in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. 

Breloom

Possibly the oddest-looking Pokémon on this list, Breloom is a grass/fighting-type mushroom dinosaur that can drink poison (?), has a 100%-effective sleep status move (!), and a high attack stat on par with endgame dragons and mega-evolutions (!!!).  Breloom has a unique look and a bunch of weird gameplay wrinkles, as an asymmetrical Pokémon with only one competitively strong basic stat and a bunch of unique abilities and attacks.  There are more fighting/grass types out there now (Chesnaught comes to mind), but Breloom is a true original and I love it.   

Infernape

I think that generation 4 might have the CUTEST starting trio in Pokémon history.  Turtwig, Chimchar, and Piplup are adorable as heck.  However, all three grow into intimidating motherfuckers that don't quite communicate the original cuteness.  I can't pick a cutest gen-4 starter, but Infernape is by far the coolest final evolution, and one of my all-time favorite fire Pokémon.  With notes of the Monkey King and a warrior monk, Infernape is the coolest implementation of the weirdly recurring fire/fighting type, and has great speed, power and attacks, making it a solid mixed sweeper.  Blaziken is probably the strongest of the fire/fighting starters, but Infernape is my favorite. 

Staraptor

The best early-game bird Pokémon ever conceived and it isn't close.  Starly was the very first Pokémon I caught in my massive Diamond playthrough, and it never left my team, ever.  Staraptor is a fierce, crested evolution of the very cute Starly and also a fast, tough, fighter of a bird that's more effective than the Pidgeots and Fearows of the world, thanks to its good offensive stats and interesting wrinkles to its moveset (fighting and bug attacks!).  Really though, Staraptor's here because it was my most reliable teammate in my Diamond save file, which is probably the deepest I ever got into a Pokémon game. Plus look at that crest. Very cool visual flair for Pokémon's Best Bird. 

Lucario

What an awesome Pokémon design.  Lucario's look communicates a cool toughness and an indomitable fighting spirit.  Lucario is doglike or foxlike at the basic level, but that steely gaze (it is fighting/steel type after all), carefully placed spikes, and fistlike forepaws are all martial arts.  Lucario was a natural choice for both Smash Bros. and Pokken Tournament, and though I don't play much of either I'm glad Lucario's in.  I raised one from a Riolu in my Diamond run, but it wasn't a team stalwart like my Staraptor.  Really it's this Pokémon's style, potential, and reputation that have me admire it so much (Lucario's a motherfucker in competitive play),  

Excadrill

The adorable Drilbur evolves into a mole version of Super Shredder, and I have no complaints at all.  Excadrill is a fantastic ground-type Pokémon who gains more offensive and defensive versatility by adding steel-type upon evolution, and dishes out Earthquakes and Iron Heads beautifully.  Even better in a sandstorm scenario.  Diglett and Dugtrio are the more iconic molelike Pokémon (and I love both), but Excadrill was a linchpin of my White 2 team and is a great offensive Pokémon.  

Reuniclus

Is part of why I love Reuniclus that its pre-evolution is called Solosis?  Yes.  But it's also because it has really cool abilities and moves (Magic Guard is incredible, holy shit) and is a happy goofball of a... gigantic psychic single-celled organism?  I'm honestly not sure what to make of its design, but Reuniclus is cute, strong, and effective either as a psychic tank or a Trick Room dominator.  I used one in my White 2 run mostly for the name Solosis, but it ended up one of my overall favorites!  

Mienshao

"Fighting weasel" seems like a Mad Libs with the conditions of (Pokémon type) (Animal), but at least it's a cool fighting weasel!  Mienshao's hanging sleeves evoke gimmicks from classic martial arts films (the evil priest with extending sleeves from "Iron Monkey" is a particular favorite), and the mustache-like whiskers and soft color combination are cool elements as well.  Gameplay-wise, the martial arts mustelid is fast and powerful, with a pretty diverse set of attacks.  A third stalwart of my White 2 team, alongside Haxorus and the two Pokémon listed above.  

Greninja

Probably the most popular Pokémon of generation 6, the water-type starter Froakie (who's cute as a button) evolves into Greninja, the shinobi-themed water-dark frog who uses its own tongue for a ninja scarf (amazing).  On top of that, Greninja is a fast, powerful bastard who can change its own Pokémon type to boost attacks and throw water shurikens.  I unwisely didn't choose Froakie when I played Pokémon Y, and used Greninja a little in Pokémon Moon when I got a Froakie from a friend.  Goddamn.  One of the best starters ever.  

Aegislash

Aegislash is an unusual, cool type in ghost/steel and an unusual, cool gimmick in being a sacret spirit sword.  Aegislash also switches from (huge) defensive stats to (huge) offensive stats whenever it uses an offensive move, and vice-versa.  The sheathe/unsheathe mechanic works incredibly, and makes Aegislash switch from immovable object to unstoppable force at will.  Neat visual gimmick exceeded by a truly incredible gameplay gimmick.  Aegislash was by far my strongest Pokémon when I played Y over a year ago and I started to EV train a Honedge in Moon a few months ago.  

Hawlucha

I don't know who at Game Freak came up with the idea for a Luchador eagle in the colors of the Mexican flag, but I hope they're still gainfully employed.  The only Pokémon to sport fighting/flying type, Hawlucha has an adorable gimmick and some impressive power, with good attack and speed stats and multiple ways to boost those stats to crazy levels (combining Acrobatics with Unburden and a berry item is one of the easiest ways).  Hawlucha has a lot of cool tricks, but really it's that adorable look and fantastic pro wrestling theme that does it for me.  LU-CHA-LU-CHA!  

Decidueye

Rowlet is a cute, round, leafy owl who was my obvious choice for a first-time starter in Pokémon Moon, and when it evolves, oh man.  That cuddly owl chick turns into a shadowy grass/ghost hoodie owl archer.  A cool attitude, shooting leafy feathers like arrows, and some truly weird type coverage with powerful grass, ghost, and flying moves make Decidueye one of the most unique starters in Pokémon history.  I love it.  I think Decidueye isn't quite as powerful as the other starters in this list, but I love both its visual and gameplay design.  

Mudsdale

Big ol' mud horse.  Mudsdale is an awesome behemoth of a Pokémon that evolves from the very cute Mudbray (Mudsdale is one of the heaviest Pokémon ever, and has a move that deals more damage based on weight!) that can increase its own defense easily and has a great set of attacks.  And, as I've mentioned before, I always love a strong Ground type that can throw out a meaty Earthquake (see: Excadrill, Swampert) and a high-HP bruiser that can tank a bit (see: Snorlax, Reuniclus), and this guy is both.  Mudsdale was maybe the MVP of my recent playthrough of Pokémon Moon. 

Kommo-O

With awesome visual gimmicks of a Chinese dragon and a monastery bell, gameplay gimmicks of heavy armor and sound-based offense, and maybe my favorite type combination ever in fighting/dragon, Kommo-O was a Pokémon I was extremely interested in the moment I heard about it.  It lacks the overall power of a few other dragon Pokémon (Salamence and Garchomp are probably better), but holy shit I love its look, moves, and abilities.  I had a friend trade me a Jangmo-O early in my run of Pokémon Moon just so I could raise one through the main story (thanks, Brigid!), and Kommo-O ended up one of my team's best.  An excellent fancy dragon.   


---

That was fun!  And I guess I didn't mention it earlier, but I didn't have any legendary Pokémon listed here because... well I never use legendaries.  And since my attachment to Pokémon is heavily informed by how much I liked training them in-game, it makes sense I wouldn't include any. This is an honest list that at least captures my Pokémon fandom and preferences, and I hope readers found it interesting or amusing.

Game-wise, I recently finished Dragon Quest XI, so next on the docket is Mega Man 11 for when I want to get my run and jump on, Tales of Berseria when I want to see sword gals and sword guys in action, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds when I want something to do while watching basketball or pro wrestling.  Game on, folks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment