Friday, February 1, 2013

4 in February 2013

Two writers from popular game blogs Kotaku and Joystiq came up with an idea that fits in perfectly with my recent game quests for 2011, 2012, and 2013.  After the jump I'll talk about my plans for 4 in February.

4 in February (hashtag 4iF) was first described here in Kotaku: Kotakaboom.  The idea is you set aside four games that you haven't finished, and are particularly embarrassed not to have finished.  Then finish them by the end of the month.  February is typically a barren month for major video game releases, so it's the perfect time to cut through your backlog.

Now, as all six of you readers know, I've been blogging about my beaten games since mid-2011, and since 2012 have made a particular focus on long, involved games in my backlog and games I *really* ought to have played by now.  Basically, 4 in February is a one-month version of my 12 in '12 or 13 in '13.  And that's great!  This means I can be part of an international gamer movement and work on my own personally-set gaming goals at the same time! 

Owen Good, the author of the linked post, has chosen The Walking Dead, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Assassin's Creed III, and Red Dead Redemption.  Joystiq's Mike Suszek chose Portal 2, Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, and Assassin's Creed III.  And now people everywhere are identifying their 4 in February targets, including myself.  I'm taking what I believe are three of the shorter games in my 13 in '13 selection, plus one other backlogged game that I can finish relatively quickly, and pledging to finish those three by the end of the day of my birthday on February 28th.  Wow.  Four prepositional phrases in a row. 

Sollosi's 4 in February

Heavy Rain

The one 4iF game not on my 13 in '13 list, Heavy Rain is an emotional crime drama that is supposedly one of the most affecting experiences on the PS3.  It's also beatable in under a dozen hours, and I've had it in my library for around 1.5 years.  Hopefully I don't fall into a real-life depression if I fail to save the main character's children from a serial killer. 


The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

I'll be playing this game on the GameCube's Zelda Collection, extremely late to the party.  In the past 14 months I've beaten three 3D Zelda titles, which were not coincidentally the first three 3D Zelda titles I ever finished.  Majora's Mask will make four. 


Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime made an enormous splash when it first dropped around the same time as my favorite Metroid game, Metroid Fusion.  I've owned Prime for several years but never played it (it was one of the two games that came with my GameCube, along with Wind Waker) and now's the time. 


Psychonauts

As I mentioned in my first 13 in '13 post, I own Psychonauts on three different systems, but since then I've decided to go with the PS3 version.  Mostly for the wireless controller.  Anyhow, Psychonauts is a big colorful platformer from Tim Schafer et al. with high praise for its writing and originality.  Sounds great to me. 

---

So hey, tomorrow begins this 4 in February business, so I better get to it.  Tales of Vesperia is on break until March. Bring it on, February.

No comments:

Post a Comment