Monday, May 21, 2018

Sollosi's Favorite Zelda Games


I've played ten video games in the Legend of Zelda series, with the most recent of those finished a few days ago.  Yes, it's that time again. 

I've enjoyed The Legend of Zelda for many years, back down to when I first got an NES.  That gold Zelda cartridge came with my system, and soon after trying the first Legend of Zelda (which I'll discuss in the list below) I sought out the Game Boy's Link's Awakening; those were my first two, and I've liked many a Zelda game since.  As a general rule, I play the Zelda games at least a year after they've come out since I tend to get systems late (with a few exceptions), but I really like all the ones I've played to completion.  Even the one that finished 10th on my list below is an excellent game - I only finish the Zeldas I like enough to see through to the end. 

So anyway, this list is from a Zelda fan, but perhaps a non-rabid one.  I didn't finish any 3D Zelda games until 2011 and I've only beaten 10 Zelda titles; there are 15 to 18 in the main series (a few games have debatable "main series" status).  I like Zelda, but it isn't one of my absolute favorite franchises.  I at least like them enough to have finished ten. 

I could do what I normally do for lists like these and go into detail why I haven't played all the Zelda games I own, or mention why I dislike or ignore some of them, but I'm not going to add new entries to the list just to say all that so here goes nothing: I own Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword but haven't tried either at length; Zelda II confused me as a child and I didn't get very far, renting it only once or twice; I didn't like what I played of Phantom Hourglass, mostly because of the Temple of the Ocean King; I don't think Four Swords counts as a complete Zelda game.  So that's that.  None among those five is showing up on the list below, and any other unmentioned games I simply haven't played at all.  These twelve games (ten I've finished plus two honorable mentions) are the Zelda titles that matter for my Zelda fandom:


Sollosi's Top Ten Favorite The Legend of Zelda Games

Honorable Mention
The Legend of Zelda

I definitely enjoyed the first Legend of Zelda as a child, but dropped it after beating 5 or 6 dungeons and not knowing how to continue.  My issue with the game wasn't beating dungeons, it was finding them.  I admire the OG Zelda for its forward-thinking game design and nonlinearity, its early versions of classic Zelda concepts, and for its basic gameplay, which was occasionally frustrating but always at least competent.  In a replay today I'd probably use a guide for parts of it, because I'd be playing it to cross it off the list and not to experience it like a new player in 1985.  But still, even though I never finished it, I admire the first Legend of Zelda a good deal and I'm tempted to revisit it, perhaps later this year.


Honorable Mention
Okami

This is half a joke and half serious.  The joke version is "Okami is one of my five favorite Zelda games" ; the serious version is "Zelda is so beloved and its formula so brilliant that it has many imitators, and Okami is my favorite of those mimics." Okami's stylish 3D action, nonlinear zones full of secrets, and arsenal of moves both for combat and utility will instantly evoke 3D Zelda, but the stunning visuals (inspired by traditional Japanese arts like sumi-e) and designs of the main character gods are unlike anything in Zelda.  Okami is an excellent PS2 game and the best non-Zelda appropriation of the Zelda formula I've played.  RIP Clover Studio. 


Number Ten
The Minish Cap

The Minish Cap is fresh in my memory, as I finished replaying it just last month.  It's a fun, breezy Zelda game, with cool items and abilities (Roc's Cape! Summoning Copy Links to push blocks!) and an overworld very sensibly arranged and gated by player progress.  It's a well-put-together Zelda game, with the wrinkle of exploring segments of it as a tiny Link being a very cool gimmick indeed.  But despite the dense overworld and good selection of items, The Minish Cap lacks an interesting story or characters (Ezlo and Vaati are all right, but everything else is forgettable) and only has six dungeons to explore (and they're decent, but not excellent).  Not a bad GBA game by any measure, but only okay within the Zelda canon.


Number Nine
Twilight Princess

I had Twilight Princess ranked between sixth and tenth during various drafts of this post; it's probably the Zelda game that I'm the most torn about.  Twilight Princess has competent action for 3D Zelda, some really cool design choices (Wolf Link looks dope), a pretty good overworld, and EXCELLENT dungeons (the best dungeon selection of any 3D Zelda game I've played).  But... I also have caveats.  Many items barely have any utility outside the dungeons in which you find them; there are a few truly tiresome segments to unlock new areas (Wolf Link segments are a pain); and I don't love most of the unique characters.  Midna is better than Navi, Ezlo, or (probably) Fi, but I wasn't enamored with her character the way many fans seem to be.  I love the Twilight Princess dungeons, but otherwise it's a formulaic Zelda that doesn't rise above other games in the series. 


Number Eight
Ocarina of Time

I played Ocarina of Time extremely late, finishing it near the end of 2011.  Sure, I played it at friends' houses around when it came out and found it impressive, but my prejudice against / unwillingness to try 3D Zelda simmered for over a decade before I played the most popular Zelda game of them all.  And it was pretty good! The best dungeons in it have impressive scale and design; the emphasis on dialog and characters is great, and at the time unprecedented for Zelda; and a few gameplay moments are tremendous.  Overall though, Ocarina of Time has uneven dungeons (I really liked... maybe 4 of the 10) and a strangely empty overworld (despite a good number of side quests). Ocarina of Time is great, but 3D Zelda (mostly) got better after Ocarina set a standard. 


Number Seven
Oracle of Seasons

I love the Oracle duo of Game Boy Color games.  I dig the setting, story, and characters; the dungeons and overworld are fun, thought-provoking, and tightly-designed; and the duo have perhaps the best implementation of Game Boy connectivity outside of Pokémon. I have fond memories of manipulating the overworld with the Staff of Seasons and experiencing the double-story by swapping Oracle games with my friend Diane in middle school.  Seasons ranks slightly lower than its counterpart for having a few depressingly simple early dungeons and a less-interesting villain.  Oracle of Seasons doesn't rise to the top of the list of 2D Zeldas, but it's an excellent Game Boy Color title and absolutely worth playing.


Number Six
Oracle of Ages

All of the strengths and weaknesses of Oracle of Seasons, but with a better-designed quest and better dungeons.  Oracle of Ages uses time as a puzzle mechanic instead of a plot device like Ocarina of Time.  I miss the Roc's Cape from Seasons and don't love the island trading quest (better not to talk about that), but Oracle of Ages' time manipulation is aces, and it has the best-designed 2D dungeons in the whole series prior to the #1 game on this list.  Veran is an underrated villain (her possessing Nayru feels more present and threatening than Onox imprisoning Din) and Oracle of Ages is a very underrated Zelda title.


Number Five
The Wind Waker

Wind Waker almost seems like an anomaly.  A Zelda game with more water than land to explore and a below-average number of dungeons to conquer?  Sounds like a game I would normally reject outright, but Wind Waker makes up for that with EXCELLENT traditional dungeons (even if there are only five or six), and perhaps the best atmosphere and music in the whole series.  It's also probably the funniest Zelda game, and its expressive visuals radiate color and personality.  Wind Waker is beautiful and fun, even if it's not as serious or feature-rich as other Zelda games.  It's the 3D Zelda I'm closest to replaying.


Number Four
Link's Awakening

Link's Awakening does a few things unlike any Zelda game made before or since. It's the only Zelda title with no Zelda, one of the few not to take place in Hyrule, and definitely the only one with a sleeping fish inside a giant egg on top of a mountain. It also has some truly odd cameos and situations (babysitting a Chain Chomp, collecting golden leaves for Prince Richard from "For Frog the Bell Tolls"). Link's Awakening also has a truly affecting story (Marin is one of the best Zelda side characters, full stop) and excellent dungeons, my year-long frustration with Eagle's Tower as a child notwithstanding. I replayed Link's Awakening earlier this year and was surprised at how well it held up.


Number Three
A Link to the Past

I think A Link to the Past defined the Zelda formula for many years, which isn't such a bad thing since A) the Zelda formula is versatile and satisfying; and B) A Link to the Past is excellent.  A Link to the Past has a wealth of items and dungeons, an expansive overworld, and a satisfying gauntlet of twelve (TWELVE!) dungeons.  Sure, A Link to the Past is sorely lacking in story and character work and the dungeons lack personality compared to many that came later, but I don't care.  The map, the dungeons, the quest design, and even the hookshot became Zelda standards in A Link to the Past, and my recent replay of it was just as satisfying as my very first.  This time I checked a guide and got all of the heart pieces!


Number Two
Breath of the Wild

Recency bias may be in effect here, as I've been playing Breath of the Wild off and on since January and finally beat it last weekend.  However, I have to recognize how excellent the newest Zelda turned out to be.  This is the greatest Zelda world map in history, vast and varied, rich with secrets, containing 5 large story dungeons, 120 small optional dungeons or "Shrines" (with 16 more shrines in the DLC), at least eight towns, and hundreds of miniature encounters, unusual landmarks, and camps of monsters. Breath of the Wild also has excellent characters, a few really awesome main story moments, and a superb selection of side quests, even though the game's real beauty is in its nonlinearity, minimalism, and world interactions. I spent about 70 hours beating the main story dungeons and about 80 Shrines, but I feel like I only scratched the surface of what Breath of the Wild has to offer. It's astounding.


Number One
A Link Between Worlds

An outright sequel to A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds recreates the SNES Zelda's world map almost wholesale, and instead makes its mark with the introduction of a few new Zelda wrinkles.  Gone are traditional flow of dungeons, with the game's nine key items available almost all from the start - Ravio's rental system allows Link to explore the entire world map at the outset, explore dungeons in (almost) any order you choose, and the player's only limitation is their ability to find Rupees.  A Link Between Worlds has excellent quantity (11!) and quality (magnificent!) of dungeons, two world maps full of secrets, a satisfying selection of items, an entertaining item upgrade system, and very good story and characters, with my favorite ending in Zelda history. A Link Between Worlds is an homage to A Link to the Past but also a subversion, with a better implementation of the two worlds gimmick and a few fun map changes, like two late-game dungeons switching places.  A Link Between Worlds represents the best of Zelda action, dungeons, items, and traditionalism, and is both my favorite 3DS game and favorite The Legend of Zelda.

---

That was fun!  This calendar year I've replayed three Zelda games (Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, and A Link to the Past), played one for the first time (Breath of the Wild), and I plan to replay three others (the Oracle duo and A Link Between Worlds).  If I have time near the end of the year I may try to finally finish the first Legend of Zelda or maybe play Majora's Mask for the first time.  That's a lot of Zelda!  The most Zelda since I played Twilight Princess and Wind Waker (and Okami) back to back (to back) in 2012.  Anyhow, I'm still planning my next few video game playthroughs, and I'm on an okay pace for my gaming goals (12 target games on the year) and blogging goals (15 posts on the year).  I'm in a good mood!  Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment